Thursday, March 17, 2016

Gemstones for Anniversaries

Gemstone Correspondences for Wedding Anniversaries

Gifts have traditionally been given for wedding anniversaries since The Roman Empire. In 1922 Emily Post became the first person to publish a list of suggested anniversary gifts according to the year of the anniversary. At that time she posted suggestions for the first, fifth, tenth, fifteenth, twentieth, twenty-fifth and fiftieth years of marriage. 



In 1957 her book was re-published and at that time the list was expanded to include gift ideas for each of the first 15 years, as well as, every five years after that. This list was reworked and expanded up by other authors to include gifts for the first to the twenty-fifth anniversaries and every five years through the 75th wedding anniversary.

The Anniversary Stones Gift List was first created by The Jewelers of America in 1937 and has been updated since that time. It is now endorsed by the Jewelers of America, the American Gem Society, the American Gem Trade Association, and the Gemological Institute of America (GIA). This list is somewhat defferent from the Traditional and Modern lists because it only includes gemstones and precious metals.


3 comments :

  1. So I just read this to my hubby and explained what he owes me - I have received some of these, but clearly he needs to make up some ground. He now has his list!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent! LOL I love your style! :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks a lot for this interesting post! I am getting married pretty soon at outdoor wedding venues NYC and would like to buy some of these gemstone accessories for my wife. I am quite sure she would love these.

    ReplyDelete

Please tell me what you think! :)